Newfoundland Fishing Boat Abstracts

It's been long winter on the west coast of Newfoundland.  It arrived back in early November and hasn't let up.  Temperatures have been cold, the winds high, and the skies quite grey since the colours of fall disappeared.

There were promising cracks in the sky on this day in early morning which prompted me to get out and shoot.  The light gods weren't on my side though as by the time I got to my destination the light was once again quite flat with full cloud cover.  

However, one thing about flat soft light is that it's great for shooting details!  One just needs to find something of interest and then really work at 'seeing' images. 

My destination was a small rural community outside of Corner Brook where numerous fishing boats are pulled up on trailers for the winter and are accessible from most angles, including views of their interesting and often colourful undersides.  The colours and textures are so visually appealing after five months of monochrome here on the west coast of Newfoundland.  
































Is it art?  

I don't feel the individual images stand strong on their own but as a series I think they are quite interesting visually and would look great printed and hung in a series.  

I do know that I feel a lot better now that I got out for a day of 'seeing'!

All images taken with the Fujifilm X-H1 combined with either the XF16-55mm or XF50-140mm lens. 

To book your wedding or photo session please contact me via email 'scott@roninphoto.ca' or call (709) 639-5335.  I'm located in Steady Brook, on the west coast of Newfoundland, in Canada.

Learn more about RONiN photo, official Fujifilm X-Photographer. -  www.roninphoto.ca

Visit me on facebook at RONiN photo.  Check out my work on instagram and Twitter!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts